School Counseling and College Advising
Suggested Ninth Grade Activities:
• Build strong academic, language, mathematics, and critical-thinking skills by taking challenging courses.
• Learn HOW to study, not just memorize.
• Strengthen your vocabulary by increasing your reading.
• Become involved in co-curricular activities.
• Meet with your high school counselor and discuss your plans for the next four years.
• Browse through college literature or surf the Web (especially Family Connection/Naviance) to get an idea of what kinds of schools may be of interest to you.
• Check out what high school courses colleges require.
• Know NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) requirements if you want to play sports in college.
• Keep an academic portfolio and co-curricular record (begin working on resume-use Naviance/Family Connection).
• Research career possibilities.
• Begin saving money for college.